Saturday, July 5, 2008

Disclosure kharma

So, some really hot guy sends you a note, they want to meet.  Now, I think from my profile and from my pics, it's at least obvious that I might be HIV positive.  Even if obvious, if it's an issue to you, shouldn't you be the one to ask?  It's your health, not mine that's at risk.

Still 95% of the time, it's my job to bring up the subject.  It gets old, but goes with the territory.

What I never get is this:   Some guy is hot to trot, and you say, "OK, but are you clear that I am HIV positive?"    

They don't even respond.  Not even a "Sorry, no thanks."

Disclosure is not always easy.   Like a bruise, it doesn't get less sensitive with time, but it's something you do out of a sense of responsibility, and frankly, self-protection, too.    

You make it easier to disclose if you have the minimal courtesy to acknowledge that someone has taken a moment to respect your life and health.

and, if that person started the conversation, he has more respect for your negative status that you do, it would seem.

No comments: